Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Teach problem solving by waiting--genius!!

I just read two great posts about letting children solve their own problems.  I have actually seen a picture of a brain scan showing a child who had a parent do everything for them.  It showed little brain activity in the frontal lobe (your problem solver).  Do you want your 16 year old to have little brain activity in their frontal lobe?  Read this great blog post at Aunt Annie's childcare and this post at The Corner on Character.

2 comments:

  1. YAY - thanks, Amanda, for the shout out! I think that THE single most difficult thing to do might be the most important - empower them with the tools to problem solve instead of solving problems for them. And now that my first-born has gone off to college, I'm so much more relaxed because of the problem-solving skills that she's armed with and taking with her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your blog! I found you from I Can Teach My Child. I used to be a preschool teacher and am now on my second year of staying home. Can't wait to read more! :)

    ReplyDelete